How to Lose Your Beer Belly
Are you the kind of guy who isn’t really obese but even with a few extra pounds on your belly protrudes making you look much heavier? Well men store fat differently than women do but there are still a few different types of body shapes just as there are for women. Females are built to bear children whereas men store their fat deposits mostly around their middle. So what are the best ways for a guy to lose his big belly in a hurry? Well if it’s a true beer belly, giving up the beer would be the first thing. Besides that obvious suggestion, here are some more ways to help you to get back to your fighting weight.
- Start a regular exercise routine. That may seem like a no-brainer, but even if you are not into lifting weights, you should always start out with at least 30 minutes of cardio every day. Start out with walking for 20 minutes, work up to 30, then start alternating between a walk/run routine. The main thing is to get that heart rate up so you are burning fat.
- Once you have your cardio workout set in stone, start adding your exercises for your abdomen. These can be crunches, sit-ups, pushups, and reverse crunches, whatever works best for you. Start out with two sets of 12 and work your way up to 4 or 5 reps of 10. You don’t have to use weights here because the point is not to build muscle but to make the muscles you have lean and mean.
- Watch your fat intake in your diet. Stay away from sugary drinks, diet sodas and overly sweet fruit juices. Bottled water, flavored water, and mineral waters are all good choices to keep you hydrated.
- Start eating more lean protein, low carb vegetables, and a few low sugar fruits, such as berries, oranges, melons and apples. You can have whole wheat breads but look for those that have a high fiber content to them. The protein and the fiber will help to keep you feel full longer so you won’t end up starving and going off on a major binge and defeating your purpose in the first place.
- Break your meal plan up to 6 small meals each day. Every time you eat you are revving up your metabolism which will help you burn off that belly fat. Keep eating every couple of hours so you spread out your meals and you are not ravenously hungry throughout the day.
- If you find you are really hungry here are a few tips.
Munch on a bag full of baby carrots. You can even plunge them into a low calorie dip but you will be doing a lot more crunching than consuming calories. It will keep your mouth busy without adding lots of empty calories.
Make sugar-free jello your friend. Even with a spritz of real whipped cream it will give you the feeling of having dessert without splurging on anything like cake, cupcakes, and ice cream.
If you just need a little something to tide you over have a cup of hot sodium-free chicken broth with several drops of hot sauce in it. This will make you feel like you are having something savory, more like a meal, and the hot sauce will rev up your metabolism.
If you are going to eat fruit you will get more bang for your buck with strawberries cantaloupe, and watermelon. Don’t bother with bananas or pineapple as they have too high of a sugar content.
- Make sure that you eat a good breakfast every day. You should make breakfast your largest meal of the day, have a light lunch, and if you have to make dinner an even lighter meal, build yourself a large salad with as many low calorie vegetables as you can, different lettuces, celery, cucumber, radishes, tomatoes, olives, peppers, onions, and top it off with regular olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing to taste.
- Track your meals every day through an online website that will add up your calories, carbs and other daily nutrients so you know what you are really consuming every day. It will also take into consideration the amount of exercise you do each day.